TextSoap Release Notes
- Added menu item "Reveal Application Support Folder" to Help Menu.
- Renamed "Send Feedback" to "Contact Support" in Help Menu.
- Release notes window only shows "rate it" link(s) for either direct download or MAS release.
- Fixed: The "Set StrikeThrough Attributes" action did not properly change the underlying text.
- Fixed: Contextual menu with all items disabled could come up when control-clicking in parts of the custom cleaner list. Note: this was a remnant of previous interface and was replaced by the buttons at the bottom of the list.
- Fixed: Some issues related to OS X Mavericks
- TextSoap now offers to move itself to /Applications folder if is launched from another location (direct-download only).
- Fixed: Text labels in custom cleaner actions could overwrite buttons when action was collapsed.
- Fixed: When working on plain text document/workspace, applying a cleaner which changed attributes could sometimes lead to rich text result within a plain text document.
- Fixed: Ambiguity between custom cleaner action "Rewrap Text" and built-in cleaner "Rewrap Text". Action was renamed "Custom Text Wrap".
- Fixed: UTI issue that could prevent TextSoap from opening and installing a custom cleaner dragged onto its icon.
- Fixed: Extract Text action would sometimes use entire match, even when a capture group was specified.
- Fixed: Extract Middle Characters action did not properly use the specified starting position.
- Fixed: Descriptions for normalize date cleaners were incorrect.
- Fixed: Improved compatibility with OS X 10.8.2.
- Fixed: Launching TextSoap by dropping document on app icon could cause clipboard workspace cleaners not to display.
- Fixed: Set Background Color action color picker did not accurately reflect the default color (white) when created.
- Fixed: App could hang or exhibit other weird behavior in some scenarios under OS X 10.6.8.
- Fixed: QuickLook previews were not displaying under OS X 10.8.
- Fixed: QuickLook did not show correct thumbnail for the supported cleaner files.
- Fixed: Display issues with dragged actions within the custom cleaner editor.
- Fixed: Some built-in cleaners exhibited strange behavior in 7.3.2.
- Fixed: When using \uHHHH to specify Unicode in regex replacement character, app could throw exception.
- Fixed: Title case would not work correctly with words that contained diacriticals.
- Fixed: Custom OS X Services were sometimes not correctly updated when custom cleaners or groups were changed.
- Fixed: Issues with individually importing older custom cleaners (from version 5 or 6).
- Fixed: In some cases, older database was not properly converted.
- Fixed: App could crash when user deleted last custom cleaner and then created a new custom cleaner.
Version 7.3.1 incorporates two fixes affecting only the TextSoap Menu helper app. See items marked as ** in bug fix list.
- High-res support for new MacBook Pro retina displays
- Built-in "Standard" group now also includes custom cleaners.
- Search history button icon updated to match new preference icon change.
- Renamed "Apply Default Paragraph Spacing" cleaner to "Paragraph Ruler: Default Spacing."
- Fixed: User-specified extensions (for text files) were sometimes ignored when using the Batch File Cleaner window.
- Fixed: Showing cleaner statistics could crash if no text had ever been processed.
- Fixed: Regex Lab would ignore some of the regex options set by user.
- Fixed: Direct download version could still silently check for updates even if the option was disabled.
- Fixed: Issues related to using subroutines within a custom cleaner.
- Fixed: Unexpected runtime error during certain interactive find and replace actions.
- Fixed: Interactive Replace button in find sidebar did not correctly support replacement case transformations.
- Fixed: Find Next/Previous could fail to find next/previous match when using certain regular expressions.
- Fixed: Replace/Extend options in Title Case action were not always selectable, forcing the default value of replace.
- Fixed: Potential crash when trying to delete a Saved Search item in preferences.
- Fixed: Remove Extra Returns cleaner returns to being an alias to Multiple Returns to 2 Returns cleaner.
- Fixed: Multiple Returns to 1 Return & Multiple Returns to 2 Returns cleaner remove extraneous returns at the top of the selected text.
- Fixed: Literal characters were incorrectly processed in replacement string handling.
- ** Fixed: Launch TextSoap Menu at login would not add TextSoap Menu to the LoginItems.
- ** Fixed: Colors in custom groups were not displaying in TextSoap Menu or the global palette.
DIRECT DOWNLOAD SPECIFIC
The following changes are specific to direct download builds.
- Signed with Developer ID.
- TextSoap Menu, replaces Universal Menu feature
- Now a separate app (bundled)
- Direct Download users can access it through TextSoap's app menu.
- Improvements over previous Universal Menu functionality:
- Customizable icon
- Display style: single group or all groups.
- Added Hot Key support to toggle global palette.
- Global palette will now remember its previous position between restarts.
- Global palette selected group is now synced with Universal Menu.
- Expanded number of Hot Keys user can define for Universal Menu options.
- Fixed: If ~/Library/Services/ folder did not exist, folder is now created when attempting to instal custom OS X Services.
- Fixed: When closing find or regex lab sidebar, cursor focus would not return to text editor.
- Fixed: Text field heights in find & replace custom cleaner action could get incorrect value.
- Fixed: Under certain conditions, find sidebar tab would default to regular expression instead of text string searches.
- Fixed: Running an automator workflow from within a custom cleaner could cause cleaner to crash.
- Fixed: Could not properly replace match when also using look-ahead or look-behind groups in a regular expression.
- Fixed: Regression issue that could cause some html entities to incorrectly evaluated.
- Fixed: Conditional "If Text Matches" did not always respect the match capture group option.
- Fixed: Action list "cleaners" in cleaner editor would not update correctly when new cleaners were added.
- Fixed: Word count and invisibles properly update when document is opened and preferences are set.
- Custom cleaner preview lets users specify which text source to use for the preview.
- Global Hot Key options to display current group or a specified group.
- Global Hot Key options to automatically invoke a cleaner on the given text.
- Clean the existing contents of clipboard via TextSoap Universal Menu.
- Hold down Command-key modifier before selecting menu.
- Leave cleaned results of TextSoap Universal Menu action on clipboard (vs. of auto-pasting).
- Hold down Shift-key modifier before selecting menu.
- Conditional Results Modifiers allows users to modify the results of a conditional action.
- Invert the found matches.
- Limit the number of matches.
- Skip past specified number of matches.
- New cleaner: Capitalize Common Tech Names will correctly capitalize common tech names like Xcode, AirDrop and more.
- TextSoap Universal options are now in a separate preference tab. The new tab allows setting up hot keys for TextSoap Universal Menu.
- Adding a conditional action now also adds an end conditional action when dropped in the action list.
- Added new "For Each Line" conditional shortcut. Creates a standard If Text Matches conditional action.
- "Extract HTML" cleaner now removes text within <script> and <style> tags from HTML source.
- Better layout handling in custom cleaner editor.
- Faster launch sequence for app.
- Uses a new library for processing Markdown text with better performance.
- Custom cleaner subroutine management now uses a popover interface.
- Action menu item to select all items associated with the current conditional statement.
- Indicator on actions to show when a comment is associated with it.
- Comment indicator now displays comment as a tooltip.
- Fixed: Sort Lines built-in cleaners did not work correctly when initated via OS X Services.
- Fixed: "Remove Extra Returns" description updated to reflect being based on 'Multiple Returns to 1 Return'.
- Fixed: Hang in Find & Regex Lab tabs when an expression matched the newline character individually.
- Fixed: Runtime error that when a conditional came up with empty matches.
- Fixed: Converting lines to HTML lists would incorrectly handle blank lines.
- Fixed: Incorrect tooltip for "Show in Menubar" preference item.
- Fixed: "Remove Extra Spaces" did not remove spaces at the beginning of a line.
- Fixed: Separator in Groups menu was displayed when no custom groups defined.
- Fixed: Regex replace string processing of \ was not correctly handled.
- Fixed: Capture group option in extract text action was ignored.
- Fixed: Changing color in an action would change the text color of selected text in window beneath the custom cleaner editor.
Version 7.0.3 (1035)
- Added support for full screen editing of documents and clipboard workspace under Mac OS X Lion.
- Added support for autosave and Versions under Mac OS X Lion.
- Automator actions now launch TextSoap as an agent if it is not already running.
- Automator action "Clean Text Content" would sometimes not use the cleaner specified by the user.
Version 7.0.2 (1032)
- New cleaner: "Convert to Plain Text" strips all attributes from rich text.
- Added Quit menu option to TextSoap Universal Menu.
- Added link to Mac App Store page, and other favorite listing sites for reviews and ratings of app.
- "Remove Styles from Text" cleaner now performs same action as "Convert to Plain Text" cleaner.
- TextSoap Universal Menu now works in apps with a non-typical menu structure, like Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.
- Under some conditions, General Preferences icon would sometimes not display in Preference window.
- When used in Agent-mode, app would auto-quit too soon. Now waits a more reasonable amount of time before auto-quitting.
Version 7.0.1 (1029)
- New cleaner: Capitalize Sentences (Alt) capitalizes first character of a sentence without changing case of any other words in sentence.
- If enabled in advanced preferences, app can launch as agent (invisible) when run from TextSoap Universal Menu.
- More descriptive error messages for batch file cleaning log.
- Set Default Spacing cleaner now completely resets all line spacing for a paragraph, including before & after spacing, line height multiplier and minimum line height.
- Changing Line Endings for a plain text document now correctly updates document setting.
- Insert Text action now correctly inserts the specified text.
- When importing a TextSoap 6 cleaner with regex find action, multiline option is now set.
- Selecting Open TextSoap menu item from TextSoap Universal Menu now works in all instances.
- Cleaner descriptions now correctly show for cleaners via tooltips.
- Make Paragraphs cleaner now works correctly when paragraphs start with numbers.
- Custom service items no longer have the "cannot run" overlay in Finder or the Services menu.
- Text fields in the Find and Replace custom cleaner action no long require pressing tab or enter for value changes to be noticed.
- Can now properly convert documents between plain and rich text using window popup.
- Can now properly change the line endings on plain text documents using window popup.
Version 7.0 (1014)
- New: Interface changes make better use of window areas (chrome)
- New: Cleaner palette is now integrated into window
- New: Find Panel tab integrationed into window
- New: Regex Lab tab simplifies building and testing expressions with your sample text.
- New: General user interface refinements.
- New: TextSoap Universal Menu provides TextSoap in most applications.
- New: ICU regular expression engine designed for unicode.
- New: Conditional actions in custom cleaners simplify text and attribute changes.
- New: Custom cleaner actions to control setting and removing of more attributes, including:
- foreground color
- background color
- New: International support for smart quote, date handling.
- New: Batch File cleaning window provides batch file cleaning without the need of Automator. Although Automator is still supported.
- New: 64-bit power.
- New: You can now apply cleaners to non-contiguously selected text.
- New: Search history remembers your last 25 searches.
- New: Custom cleaner find actions can access search history.
- New: Grep menu to define and use common regular expressions.
- New: Additional regex search options added:
- Multi-line searches (?m)
- Dot Matches All (?s)
- Use Unicode Words (?w)
- Allow comments (?x)
- New: Find All - shows list of all matches
- New: Bigger text entry areas in find and replace for more complex expressions
- New: "Clean Text with TextSoap" service menu item. Brings up dialog to pick which cleaner to use. This is a built-in service item.
New Cleaners added to Library
- Improved: Convert URLs to Hyperlinks has better URL matching
- Improved: Extract URLs by Replacing/Appending has better URL matching
- Improved: Smarten Quotes cleaner now uses system text preferences for smart quotes.
- New: Actions update to use minimum visual space
- New: Find and Replace Action is resizable
- New: Find history available in Find and Replace Action
- New: Grep menu available in Find and Replace Action
- New: Multiline opiton for Regex finds
- New: Bulk Find and Replace Action
- New: Action is resizable
- New: Column widths are resizeable and sticky
- New: Easier movement in table with tab/shift-tab/return keys
- New: Copy/Paste tab-delimmited text from Find/Replace table
- New: Sort on columns
- New: Support for drag-n-drop to arrange items within the action.
- New: Bulk Find Text and Associate URL - lets you specify a URL for the given text as a hyperlink.
- New: Adjust Font Size Action - action to relatively change font size independent of other font attributes.
- New: Set Text Color - action to change foreground color of text.
- New: Set Background Color - action to change background color of text.
- New: Set Font action based on Font family
- New: Set Font Action shows a preview
- New: Remove Attribute action
- New: Set Font allows changing bold and italic face attributes independent of the Font
- New: Conditional action to apply actions on text matching a specified font style.
- New: Conditional action to apply actions on text has specific (non-font specific) attributes associated with it.
- New: Conditional action to apply actions on text matching an find expression.
- New: Regex Conditional Action can specify the capture group to perform these actions on a subset of the matched expression.
- Change: Cleaner list - Long items will now wrap when necessary.
- Change: Cleaner list - Support to sort Library of cleaners alphabetically.
- Change: Cleaner list - Filtering now combines the separated words with an AND to continually reduce the list size.
- Change: Custom Cleaner Editor, Group Editor, MyScrub Editor are combined into a single window
- Change: Line endings combined with Plain/Rich Text Popup
- Change: Compound actions (Find Text and Apply Style, Find Style and Apply cleaner, etc) have been replaced by condtionals.
There are currently three conditionals: "If Text Matches," "If Font Matches," "If Text Has Attribute".
The new "End Conditional" marks the end of a conditional block.
TextSoap's application specific plug-ins & scripts (like those for BBEdit, Eudora, Coda, Entourage) were replaced with a system-wide menu bar access to TextSoap cleaners.
Once the feature is enabled (in General Preferences), it allows you to place the cursor in virtually any text editing field and clean either the entire contents of the text. Or just apply the cleaner to selected text.
Custom Cleaner Editor
- New: Custom Cleaner list can now be filtered to quickly find a specific cleaner.
- New: Simpler cleaner sorting. Click icon to sort alphabetically. Option-click to sort in reverse alphabetical order.
- New: Simpler way to add an apply custom cleaner action. All cleaners are listed in the action source list of the custom cleaner editor. Drag a cleaner item to create a basic "apply this cleaner" action.Note: If you need to be able to change the cleaner within the action, use the "Apply Cleaner" action.
- Change: Subroutines are now in popup menu. The popup menu enables selecting a different subroutine, adding, renaming, and removing subroutines.
- Change: Cleaner properties are now provided in a popup window.
- Change: Comments are now handled with a single comment area at the bottom of the action list.
Batch Cleaning Interface
Interactive batch cleaning option is now available. Select File > Batch Cleaning to display. New: Provides same functionality as the Automator action "Clean Text Files."
- Change: \v (for veritcal tab) is now supported in textual finds.
- Change: Non-metacharacters that follow \ in textual finds are converted to standard characters.
- Change: Online documentation on new regular expression syntax is found under the Help menu.
- Change: Agent scripting is replaced by directly scripting the main application. See online help.
- Change: Improvements in invisible characters display
- Change: End of Line options moved into "Plain/Rich Text" popup menu button. Only displays EOL options when clipboard text or document is plain text.
- Change: Growl 1.2 support added